Monday, August 13, 2012

Lazy Days -- we all need them

Yesterday I overdid.  I awakened around 4:30 a.m. but stayed in bed until 5:30 a.m.  I took photos in the morning, came home and processed some of them, then ran out to the farmer's market.  I always park away from the maddening crowd when I go there; just a short walk, but a walk, nonetheless.  Since The Local Beet food co-op is right there I picked up a few items.  Why was everything I bought yesterday heavy? Three-pound jar of raw honey, two pounds of peaches, three pounds of onions, a pound of bulk brown rice, two dozen cage-free eggs (those eggs never had to live in a cage EVER). 

When I was done I realized that I had to walk back to my car a few blocks away.  Next time I will insist one of the boys come with me.  I sure could have used their muscle.  I made it to my car then had to stop by the market for something for dinner.  Picked up a cheap cut of London broil, and I am on my way home.

I know it doesn't sound like much, but that was just too much for one day and my body started protesting. 

When I got home I needed to slice and marinade the meat.  Done.  For a late lunch I put on a pot of rice to cook while I started sauteeing vegetables.  Then I started a batch of bread for steak sandwiches.

Rice and veggies all done we chowed down.  My 16yo asked me what I put in the rice after saying how delicious it was.  "Salt," I responded.  We both laughed and enjoyed our lunches: sauteed onions, green peppers, zucchini and yellow squash over brown rice.  Yummy. 

I got a little break while the bread was rising so I knitted and watched Heroes on Netflix.  I started sliced onions in the skillet for steak sandwiches (I prefer the slow carmelization method -- lard, onions, med-low heat for about 30 minutes).  I was so tired at this point that I assigned stirring onion duty to 16yo.  I divided and formed my two loaves of bread and put them in my 9x13 glass baking dish.  This is my new favorite way to bake bread.  It makes two long, lower loaves resulting in smaller slices of bread for sandwiches and garlic bread.  I baked them for 35 minutes at 400 degrees F. 

As soon as the bread came out of the oven I threw the steak in the pan and cooked on high heat for a couple of minutes.  I took the meat out of the pan, allowed the water from the marinade to evaporate and threw the meat back in for a quick brown.

Dinner was served: steak, sauteed onions on homemade bread.  Oh, we had snacked on cucumbers before dinner so we didn't have a separate veggie dish.  There were no complaints.  I was asleep in the chair by 7 pm.  I tried to stay up later but finally dragged myself to bed at 8:05 pm. 

Today I need a rest so it is a declared lazy day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment